Tuesday 3 April 2007

Prague First Impressions - Weeping Angels


The next five days were spent wandering around Prague. These were days before the arrival of the hordes of tourists, and so I was often alone as I meandered around the narrow streets of the Old Town and up to the Castle. Virtually no one spoke English - the language having been looked on with suspicion by the communist authorities - and so I got by on rudimentary German and miming.

My friend was renewing old acquaintances and exploring business opportunities and so I just took the opportunity in her absence to explore and soak in the atmosphere, and what an atmosphere it was. It is now hard to explain what it felt like back in early 1990. I had no guidebook and instead just walked, following my instinct, often going over the same ground time and again. I was completely breathless with the beauty of the place and felt the city's history - both glorious and sad - reaching out to me from alleyways and courtyards, through the railings of the Jewish quarter and from the facades of once rich buildings. Now the visitor finds the route from Charles Bridge to Town Square lined with hawkers, shops crammed with souvenirs and frankly often tat; then it was quiet and powerful. The statues on Charles Bridge stood alone and silent, without the accompanying flash of cameras and chatter of posing tourists.

On a number of occasions and at a number of places I came across small shrines of candles and flowers, set up to those who had been murdered by the oppressors. In Wenceslas Square there was a large makeshift memorial to Jan Palach - the student who had burnt himself to death in 1968 as a protest against the Russian suppression of the Prague Spring. Here there was a constant stream of people bringing flowers and lighting candles. It all felt hugely personal. I felt a voyeur watching the people's bowed heads. How could I comprehend what I was seeing? How could I share anything of the emotion that hung like incense in the air? And I was angered by other non-Czech visitors who stood around and took photos of it all.

I regularly made my way back to the lights and warmth of Cafe Slavia either to meet up with my friend or to drink black Czech coffee and eat the Cafe's rich cakes. Energy and wits refreshed, I would then venture back on to the streets. I do not know whether it was the caffeine or the intensity of emotion in Prague at that time, but I increasingly found myself unable to sleep. In that heightened state I found angels everywhere - statues, in frescos, in pictures. I sensed too a presence in the air, the angels of Prague were weeping and rejoicing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I absolutley love Prague it's one of my favorite places. I can't wait until I get back there again. Nice pics.

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm in Prague for the first time and feel like you have described my experience! Sure there are tourists everywhere now, but I have wandered the streets covering the same ground, making discoveries and seeing the angels. I too have a sense of belonging, of home, here. I came for four days 3 weeks ago A's every time I think about leaving in a weeks time I feel sick. I may have to move here too :)
Rachel

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm in Prague for the first time and feel like you have described my experience! Sure there are tourists everywhere now, but I have wandered the streets covering the same ground, making discoveries and seeing the angels. I too have a sense of belonging, of home, here. I came for four days 3 weeks ago A's every time I think about leaving in a weeks time I feel sick. I may have to move here too :)
Rachel

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...