Friday, 5 February 2010

Update on the Archaeology Society Tour


A little while ago I wrote about how I was organising a tour of my beloved South Bohemia for the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society. I have always believed that this area would appeal to Brits with an interest in history. However the area is virtually unknown among my fellow countrymen, and those that do visit often do so on an one-day excursion to Cesky Krumlov from Prague. This blog and the family website http://www.ceskykrumlovholiday.co.uk are attempts to raise awareness of the riches of this area. I was therefore very interested to see what the take up would be of places on the BGAS tour.

The publicity for the tour went out just before Christmas, within a month nearly all the places were gone and we are going to have to close bookings any day now. I am as you would expect delighted that the places have gone like hot cakes. The tour will happen in June.

The success of marketing the tour, which was done simply by telling the society's members about the tour, suggests to me that marketed in the right way to the right market South Bohemia really has potential as a tourism destination for the Brits. It also makes me wonder whether I can develop a business out of this experience. I would love to do so.

5 comments:

salamander said...

If anyone should develop a business out of this, clearly you are the one! From the way tourism operates here now, it seems the tour operators that do so are in it purely for money, and clearly they haven't even thought of marketing the area to anyone else than mass tourism with its one-day or one-overnight trips, these often in cohoots with multinational travel companies (hotels, guides, restaurants, coaches), so nothing of the money spent by the tourists even touches the locals. Well, maybe they can make more money out of it this way, but a personal, caring, tailored business such as you would clearly be wanting to run, would benefit the area as much as the clients who might come and really get much out of Krumlov and all that South Bohemia has to offer. I, too, believe that this is an ideal holiday place for Brits, especially those who love walking, nature, history and culture. Power to your sails!

Stephen Barker said...

Just out of interest does the region have any historic gardens? Visiting gardens is becoming increasingly popular. From what I have read of garden history particularly of the 18th Century the Czech Republic or Bohemia as it was then does not feature significantly. But I am sure European trends were followed and adapted to the locality.

potok said...

The answer is that Czecho has some lovely gardens, Cesky Krumlov Castle Gardens for starters, then there is the Wallenstein Garden and Vrtba Garden in Prague and many more.

The Czech style of Baroque and Rococo gardens is particularly interesting.

Stacy said...

I've been stalking your blog for almost a year and never left a comment. Thank you for your work here. My husband and I were in CR June 2007. Cesky Krumlov broke our hearts - we were only there for a day. Now, when we dream of going back, this is were we want to return. I can't wait to spend the day looking over the new website you've listed ~ and taking notes for our return.

Stacy in Texas
www.texasczech.blogspot.com

Stacy said...

One thing I forgot: It is my understanding that during communist control, Cesky Krumlov was distressed; that the castle was not viewable due to its condition. I would like to see picctures of that time. Maybe a before/after type. Do you have suggestions? Stacy again

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...